Engineering Project Manager
Zcash - Remote
10 months ago
We're on a mission to give everyone on Earth an open, inclusive financial system, and we need your help.
The Zcash Company is at the forefront of the Internet Money revolution. Fueled by scientific discovery and guided by love for humanity, we are aiming to create a global open economic fabric.
Our flagship network, Zcash, launched in the fall of 2016 has quickly grown to be one of the most valued and admired cryptocurrencies/blockchains in the world.
We believe in integrity, inclusivity, and openness. Our work springs out of passion, but we temper our enthusiasm with respect for our co-workers and families. The company is entirely distributed and everyone works remotely, except a few who happen to live in the same city as one another and can meet up to collaborate in-person.
About the role
We’re seeking an Engineering Project Manager to lead and grow our world-class team as we design, develop, and deploy ground breaking open source products.
Our team is the cornerstone of our company's strategy to build a permissionless inclusive global financial platform. Our flagship product, the Zcash reference client, underpins a global permissionless fungible financial platform. The right applicant will cultivate our team and continue our tradition of releasing secure cutting edge cryptographic software.
Manage product development:
- Track product development priorities requested by the CTO while ensuring they understand the trade-offs
- Clarify requirements, including the use cases driving them
- Maintain a roadmap with high-level milestones and their anticipated schedule
- Define the scope of each release to deliver the improvements on the roadmap
- Improve and refine our engineering processes to prioritize safety and quality
- Help individual engineers grow on a trajectory that is fulfilling for their specific goals
- Follow the priorities, schedules, goals, and accomplishments of individual engineers, and help tailor their individual efforts to meet global goals
- Help grow our team in a manner fitting our culture, strategy, position, and potential
- Cultivate peer and mentorship relationships within the team as well as between our team and the broader community
- Continually refine our processes and culture to empower engineers to take on leadership, initiative, or responsibility fitting with their passions while keeping the whole team coherent and on track
Zcash Foundation Collaboration:
- Coordinate with the Foundation to dovetail our goals and resources wherever possible
- Facilitate open collaboration between our engineers and the broader community
- Coordinate engineering efforts with Foundation Working Groups wherever possible
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience as a project manager of a medium-sized team (10–50 people) in a software development environment, especially successful experience at growing teams
- Experience managing and/or engineering user-facing software that gets deployed to open networks and millions or billions of users
- Excellent at communicating effectively, understanding and managing emotions effectively, and social, organizational, and negotiation skills
- Highly proficient in English
- Exposure to different software development methodologies
- A clear understanding of trade-offs between schedule, scope, and quality
- Familiarity with open source software and test-driven development
- Background in software development/engineering
- Helpful: experience with information security
- Helpful: full-time telecommuting experience
Compensation and Benefits
- Develop open source software to provide strong financial privacy globally.
- Collaborate with leading cryptographic scientists.
“Fun Friday” - 20% time working on any project relevant to Zcash of your choice.
- Competitive Salary - paid in USD, ZEC, or other cryptocurrencies at your discretion.
- Receive a portion of the Founders’ Reward ZEC units.
- Health Insurance plan for US-based employees.
- Full time position, 40 hours per week.
- No relocation; located on the internet.
- Occasional travel for company meetings or other events is expected, approximately quarterly.
- We rely heavily on calendaring, meeting schedules, Slack, and Github to coordinate.
- Distributed work of this nature requires strong communication / coordination skills.
Please send an email with a resume in text or PDF format, and contact info for three professional references.