Open Source Project Manager
Protocol Labs - Remote
7 months ago
Protocol Labs is a research, development, and deployment lab for network protocols. We create software systems that tackle significant challenges. We aim to solve them with new technology breakthroughs, great user experience design, and an open-source approach to creation.
This isn't an ordinary Project Management position. Our teams are self-organizing and they sometimes disband to form new teams as often as twice in a month. The Project Manager plays a crucial role on these teams by tracking the relevant information, objectives, and timelines so that the team can prioritize tasks, coordinate work, and deliver on schedule. We also have the added characteristic of being open source, with a strong emphasis on transparency and an ongoing effort to include open source collaborators/contributors in our work.
Great Project Managers are skillful facilitators and inspiring coaches with a knack for breaking down big goals into practical, iterative work plans.
We're not looking for bosses. We're looking for people to help our teams do their best work, coordinate with each other, make the best possible decisions, and reliably deliver world-class open-source software that will become core infrastructure for the next generation of the web.
- Guide teams in incrementally setting, tracking and achieving ambitious goals based on team capacity, technical constraints, workload, product designs, and roadmaps.
- Keep meetings and organizational overhead minimal while ensuring that team members are making the best possible decisions with healthy, free-flow of information, ideas and critiques.
- Provide collaborators and other community members with reliable ways to follow and contribute to your team's work.
- Adapt work plans and roadmaps as necessary, communicating inwards and outwards about decisions and tradeoffs.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- 3+ years of project management experience
- Demonstrated expertise in working with a team of experienced engineers on time-sensitive projects
- Excellent community-facing and internal communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Prolific open source contributions, or deep understanding of open source values and goals