Open Source Product Manager
Protocol Labs - Remote
3 months ago
Seeking product leader to operate at the intersection of visionary ideas, technical possibility, design thinking, user needs, and organizational priorities.
Your Role at the Labs
Guide the next generation of protocols and decentralized web tools from conception through implementation.
As an open source product manager you’ll use a diverse set of set of engineering, UX, and business skills to create products that guide and direct fundamental changes to the structure of the web. You’re action oriented and are able to guide and support an engineering team of 5-15 people in a very fast-paced environment, yet can step back and see how an individual project or goal fits into our larger mission. You take immense pride and responsibility in your work and aren’t afraid to stand up for what you think is right.
Great product managers use design thinking to deeply understand user needs, craft narratives, and lead a team in solving these needs with delightful products or features. They balance the need for an ambitious roadmap with the need for a healthy, reliable release cycle. To do this well you must operate at intersection between new ideas, technical possibility, user needs, and organizational priorities. Taking information from those reference points, you must iteratively design product narratives and product requirements documents while also steering release cycles and communicating with stakeholders.
Candidates for this position should have a strong understanding of the unique factors that arise in open source work. Proven experience with open source software teams is highly preferred.
- Set the vision for products, translate that into Product Requirements Documents and iteratively refine both vision and documents throughout the development process
- Work closely with Engineering teams to determine the best technical implementation methods and set achievable yet ambitious short and long-term goals
- Own responsibility for shipping product to users and managing release cycles
- Inspire and facilitate meaningful contributions from open source communities
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- 3+ years of product management experience
- Demonstrated expertise working with teams of engineers on time-sensitive projects
- Excellent community-facing and internal communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Prolific open source contributions, or deep understanding of open source values and goals